Preparation for the Computer
and Paper Tests
This book is intended to prepare students for the TOEFL® (Test of English as a Foreign Language) test in both its paper and computer formats. It is based on the paper format first introduced in July 1995 and the computer format first introduced in July 1998.
Longman Complete Course for the TOEFL® Test: Preparation for the Computer and Paper Tests can be used in a variety of ways, depending on the needs of the reader: • It can be used as the primary classroom text in a course emphasizing TOEFL test preparation. • It can be used as a supplementary text in a more general English language course. • It can be used as a tool for individualized study by students preparing for the TOEFL test outside of the ESL classroom.
WHAT IS IN THE BOOK
This book contains a variety of materials which together provide a comprehensive preparation program:
• Diagnostic Pre-Tests for each section, in both paper and computer formats, measure students' level of performance on each section of the TOEFL test and allow students to determine specific areas of weakness.
• Skills and Strategies for each of the sections of the TOEFL test provide students with clearly defined steps to improve performance on the test.
• Exercises provide practice of one or more skills in a non-TOEFL format.
• TOEFL Exercises provide practice of one or more skills in a non-TOEFL format.
• TOEFL Review Exercises provide practice of all of the skills taught up to that point in a TOEFL format.
• TOEFL Post-Tests for each section, in both paper and computer formats, measure the progress that students have made after working through the skills and strategies in the text.
• Complete Tests, in both paper and computer formats, allow the students to simulate the experience of taking actual TOEFL tests with all of the sections together in one complete test.
• Scoring Information allows students to determine their approximate TOEFL scores on the paper version of the Pre-Tests, Post-Tests, and Complete Practice Tests.
• Charts allow students to record their progress on the Pre-Tests, Post-Tests, and Complete Practice Tests.
• Recording Scripts allow the students to see the text of all the listening exercises and tests included on the audio cassettes/CDs.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]